Wednesday, September 10, 2008

DIY Pomanders

First here is what you will need. . .

1. Tissue Paper. I decided to alter between my color and white in order to give it more texture. You have to cut it down but size depends on how big you want to make your flowers.









2. You will need a styrofoam ball, I decided on a 5 inch but whatever you feel works for you will be just fine.










3. You will also need ribbon. This is what your pomander will hang from. I decided to get 2 colors to mix things up a bit.







4. You will also need wire. I purchased this at Michaels for $1.99. With this a little goes a long way. When you cut down the wire it does not need to be very long. Just enough to around your flower and have an inch left to be inserted into the styrofoam ball.





5. Now after you have stacked your tissue paper you are going to want to do an acordion fold. . .fold one way then flip and fold the other. When you are finished it should look like this. . .








6. While the tissue paper is still folded you will need to fold it in half. The general purpose in this is to find the center of your flower.

7. To give the flower a more realistic look you can draw a curved line on the top. As you do more of these you will not have to use this line.




8. Now you will need to take the wire that you have and wrap it around your tissue paper. After you have done that twist the wire together. Now make sure you wrap the wire tight around the tissue paper otherwise your flower will not be very sturdy.





9. Fan out what will soon be the petals of your flower. Now you are able to begin separating the layers. To make sure you flower is rounded I suggest altering sides as you work. It should begin to look like this. . .
This is a fully open flower :o)
I decided to do use both of my wedding colors. . .
and now back to work . . .
10. You will now insert your ribbon into the ball. I used a piece of wire to make sure that it was secure.
11. Take your flowers and insert the wire into the ball. . . continue until your ball is filled. For me it took between 45-50 flowers.
Here is what you will end up with. . .
I will be using these to decorate the pews in the church, it is a big church so I ended up having to make around 20 pomanders. . .
If you have any questions on how to make tissue paper pomanders feel free to let me know, I'm more than happy to help a fellow bride out!

11 comments:

Shannon said...

AWESOME!!! LOVE these! I SO want to do this for my wedding!!! I am super crafty and hope to do as much DIY stuff as possible. Not only is it fun but it helps to keep the cost down.

Question... when hanging them against a wall or bench or something does the side leaning against the wall get all squished or is it fine? Just wondering :) Oh and how many sheets of tissue paper did you use in each flower?

SO EXCITED! I am totally doing this, thanks for such detailed instructions.

Soon to be Mrs. Ponticelli said...

I have had them hanging for some time now and I havent had a problem, the tissue paper holds up very well. Your welcome, I'm glad I was able to help :o)

Ashley said...

How much did one of these cost you? I'm thinking about making them for my wedding.

Anonymous said...

These look great! I was wondering what the size of the tissue paper is (can you give dimensions)...Ive been

Soon to be Mrs. Ponticelli said...

Gena,

I dont have the dimensions but here is what I did to get the squares. . . I took the tissue paper and folded it until I got a rectangle that appeared to be the size I was looking for. This is also good because you will drive yourself mad measuring the squares and drawing lines. If you have any other questions feel free to ask :o) Happy Planning!

-Jessica

Anonymous said...

They look great! Thanks so much for the instructions. I have started doing these and I'm not sure how I can secure the ribbon to the ball? Did you use a hot glue gun? If not, how did you secure it with the wire? I've tried just twisting it into the ball, but the ribbon fell out.
Would love to hear what you did, Thanks!!

Soon to be Mrs. Ponticelli said...

I used wire to secure the ribbon. Do not use a hot glue gun. . .it melts the ball. Hope this helps let me know if you have more questions :o)

-Jessica

Anonymous said...

WOW! These look great! How long did it take you to make one pom and how long did it take you to make all 20 poms?
I too want to use them to decorate the pews in the church.
Do you have photos of what they looked like on the pews?

:)

Anonymous said...

How many sheets of tissue did you stack on top of each other before folding up to make an accordion??

Jessica said...

I did 3 of each color, so it was a total of 6.

Amy said...

How much did the project cost?